Work Management is business processes at maintenance that require to be following by maintenance management to ensure maintenance activity execute the right job in the right way and in the right time.
There are a lot of kinds of work management type in the maintenance world, but implementing in each organization is base on their own characteristic.
Work management is part of Asset Management Business Process.
Figure 1 Asset Management Process
There are options for some organization about work management.
- Do nothing, it means organization already confidence with current maintenance process and not required to improve and/or implementing work management process.
- Review, improve and implementing Asset Management Process for all Area
- Review, improve and implementing work management at maintenance area.
In this blog, will focus on implementation of work management at mining company inIndonesia.
Work Management is a business process for maintenance from beginning of work identified/requested until work finished.
Figure 2 Work Management Process
Prior implementation, we did a survey to ensure where we are against the business process proposed. The survey results are:
– Work Approval : Activity at maintenance area meet less than 40% of assessment criteria
– Planning : Activity at maintenance area meet less than 40% of assessment criteria
– Scheduling : Activity at maintenance area meet less than 40% of assessment criteria
– Execution : Activity at maintenance area meet 40% to 80% of assessment criteria
Base on those assessment results, we realized that our organization required making improvement on maintenance work management. I was appointed to become project manager for this initiative at end of 2006.
Implementation of maintenance work management required 3 years of implementation from project charter released. The result of implementation is resulting high variation reduce on maintenance activity which calculated through Maintenance Leading KPI and also high improvement on maintenance Lagging KPI
LEADING KPI :
1. SCHEDULE WORK
Figure 3 Schedule Work KPI Trending
2. SCHEDULE TASK COMPLIANCE
Figure 4 Schedule Task Compliance KPI trending
3. SERVICE TASK COMPLETED BY THE RIGHT TIME
Figure 5 Service task completed KPI trending
4. PM’s COMPLETED WITHIN TOLERANCE
Figure 6 PM’s completed KPI trending
1. RELIABILITY ASSET
Figure 7 MTBF KPI trending
2. MAINTENANCE COST
Figure 8 Maintenance Cost KPI trending
With consistency of work management process at maintenance area and sustaining the process, we have significant improvement both in leading KPI and lagging KPI.
- Leading KPI à from 2007 until 2009, high variation reduce due to consistency maintenance guys to following maintenance work management which ensuring the right job only will be executed with the right way and finish it in the right time.
- Lagging KPI :
- Increasing of MTBF (mean time between failure). This is delivering huge impact to operation, since reliability of asset can be increased with consistently following maintenance work management with more proactive for any defect found to keep asset healthy.
- Cost maintenance also significant reduce due to material and resources can be planned and scheduled better.
Maintenance Work management is business process, not a tools or equipment. Then, behaviour change and sustainability of business process very high required. After project closed, sustainability program handed over to owner and mandatory for owner to conduct weekly work management.
- LAI Reliability System,inc (2011). Work Management Simulation. Retrieved from http://www.laireliability.com/work-management-simulation.
- McAler, Mick (2006). AMF_ Mick_Audit_Result.
- Rico, Albert (2009). Utilities Succes Story
- VALE (2009). Asset Management Framework Business Process
- Hatch Mott MacDonald (2011). Asset Management. Retrieved from http://www.hatchmott.com/expertise/asset-management
- Speaks, Scott (2000). Reliability and MTBF Overview. Retrieved from http://www.vicorpower.com/documents/quality/Rel_MTBF.pdf